Sunday, July 12, 2009

So You Think You Can Cook: Turkey Meatloaf

After my turkey burger fiasco and still riding on a false sense of confidence from reading so many of the foodie blogs I seem to be enamored with, I set off to make my first loaf from the meat of turkeys. The little sister's phone will not upload pictures onto the computer, so, sorry. But it was a success. The glaze for it came out tasting like a barbecue sauce and was a tad too sweet, but I'm not sure what else I could have added to it. And for some reason the whole thing tasted like barbecued chicken, but at least it was in the poultry family! I got the genus correct and it was edible and that's all I'm worried about.

So here is the recipe in case anyone is interested:
Meatloaf:
1 pkg. ground turkey
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1/3 c. milk
1 egg
1 small onion chopped
1/2 tsp thyme (I used sage, we have no thyme)
2 tbsp. ketchup

I also chucked in a tablespoon or two of that Heinz 52 stuff that you can add to burgers. Of course after you mix everything and mush it all up together, put it in a pan and form it into a loaf. I was very proud of myself for forming it correctly in the pan (hey, I don't get to cook that often.) and proceeded to enthusiastically shove said raw meat, egg and other things mixture under my mother's nose exclaiming, "Look what I did!"

Glaze:
3 tbsp.brown sugar (♪how come you taste so gooood!♪)
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. dry mustard

And then you mix that all together. I did not have dry mustard so I just added a tablespoon or two of actual yellow mustard. And then it was really sweet so I added a couple of shakes of soy sauce to the mix. Like I said it still wound up being a tad too sweet after that, but I'm not sure what else I could have added.

Bake at 350 degrees, the directions said for 40 minutes but as I looked at the loaf that was still oozing blood into the pan my mother said to put it in for another 40 minutes or so, apparently then was not the time for the glaze. Then add glaze, bake for 10 minutes more.

It came out so good, so happy! I actually think the glaze would be really good on a kebab, thinly brushed over it and then grilled.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious!
    I have never had meatloaf before in my life. I am going to try this, this week.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love meatloaf. I also like to add mushrooms in it, and lots of CHEESE!

    ReplyDelete

I wish my comment form was shiny.