Thursday, December 2, 2010

I Zoi Enai Oraia

Yiayia's funeral was today. Her service was one of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen. Didn't understand any of the Greek, but that did not take away from the bittersweet beauty of it.

It seems this year, that The Powers That Be are playing whack a mole with my loved ones. But Yiayia lived a long life (she was 84) and she had a great heart. She was one of the people that gave me a place to stay when I came back from North Carolina. I will miss her smile.

When we were at the grave site, everyone got a chrysanthemum to place on top of her coffin. The priest was handing out roses to family members. They were to symbolize her, for she was a rose in our lives and when we smelled or looked at it we would remember her and all the good she has done.. One of my friends family members took an extra rose and gave it to me because she knew I was very close to the family. Then she asked me if I wanted a happy thought. When I said yes she leaned in and whispered ' Yiayia was allergic to roses'.

I knew she was looking down on us and laughing and whenever I see that rose, so will I.

To all the ones that have passed before us, may your memories be eternal. This is not goodbye, this is simply goodnight. I shall see you when the morning comes.

4 comments:

  1. Again, I am sorry for your loss. That is a sad but very sweet sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your condolences. I just thought the happy thought was funny and ironic. Just wanted to share it.

    Smatchimo - Thank you for joining ^_^ What is an intensedebate pluggin? I've been blogging ffrom my phone as of late and it doesn't let me do certain things. (Stupid palm pixi :p). Will it make the comment form shiny as I suspect it might? I see that you quoted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. its alright, i think blogger has implemented most of the features it was used for since its development, but it does spruce things up visually as well. then again i was browsing googles friend connect today and it looks like they have a comment pluggin that helps too.

    ReplyDelete

I wish my comment form was shiny.