Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hell No, Poe Can't Go

According to the Baltimore Sun the Edgar Allan Poe house here in Baltimore, where Poe lived for three years and wrote some of his stories and poems at, may be closing soon due to lack of funding. Baltimore officials have cut off funding to the house and museum because of budget problems. It needs to be self sufficient by 2012 or it will be no more.

The owner of the house/museum did get an offer from PETA. They were going to fund it on one condition. That the house prominently display a PETA ad. The ad would be a play on Poe's 'Telltale Heart' story. Fortunately the Committee for Historic and Architectural Preservation said it was a no go since ads are not allowed on the historic house. I say fortunately because, I don't like PETA first off, also I think such an ad would take away from the building and look tacky.

I do however hope that the owner finds some sort of funding soon or a way to keep the house open. I've always wanted to go to the Poe house. It's sad to see such a neat piece of history go away. Especially one linked to such a famous and interesting writer such as Poe. The house uses 85,000 per year to stay open, I'm not sure how they'll make it, but I hope they do.

So there you have it kiddies. If you're in Baltimore, go visit the house while it still stands.

Baltimore Sun Articles about the Poe House:
Product Placement at the Poe House? Evermore.
Poe House could close without city help, curator warns.

6 comments:

  1. Urgh, PETA is a CULT!!!!!! I hate them. There. I said it. I HATE PETA!! so get your grubby self-righteous hands off the sacred house of Poe!

    But I really hope the house still stands...Funding seems to be a bad issue everywhere and in everything these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if it weren't for Poe, we wouldn't have the name for our football team, lets get them to fund Poe house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been there~ it's cool! Somebody ought to be able to save it, maybe the Warhol Foundation. On the other hand, CBGB wasn't saved, so it's fifty-fifty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What??! That is absurd about the ad! What does PETA have to do with Poe, anyway? Oh PETA, you disappoint again.
    I'd go visit that house...if...erm...you know, I wasn't in the UK and all that. I hope it does get some funding.

    ps. I just stumbled on your blog via Burp and Slurp and it's amusing me a little bit :) I particularly liked your list of people to get stoned with...
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I like being slightly amusing :p lol. Always good to get another reader. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

I wish my comment form was shiny.