Monday, December 5, 2011

Signing Away Your Rights At The Dental Office

I was looking around on the internet when this article caught my eye.

Patient Sues Dentist Who Threatened Legal Action Over Yelp Reviews

Firstly, I didn't even know that medical practitioners could ask you to sign such a waiver. This will make me look twice before I sign things. Secondly, I do have to ask what the man was thinking blasting her on Yelp after signing that waiver. Did he forget what he signed?

Do not get me wrong, I am not lambasting Mr.Lee and applauding Dr.Makhnevich. Nor is it the other way around. I do not agree you should have to sign contracts like these to be able to receive medical care....nor do I agree they should exist either. If you are a shitty or shady doctor, then people definitely have the right to know how crappy you are.

But is it right to willingly and knowingly sign away your right (or at least part of it) to freedom of speech, and then sue the practitioner because they are violating your freedom of speech that you gave up to begin with? I guess hindsight will always be 20/20 in the end. How funny that sometimes we don't know what exactly we are giving up until it's gone.

If it was me, I never would have signed the paper to begin with. There are plenty of other dentists that could use my money; many of whom don't seem so shady (I would consider that a red flag if they don't want you to talk about it afterwards. How bad are you? What are you trying to hide?). Maybe after more of her patients did that, then Dr.Makhnevich would have changed her tune, and stopped using those waivers.

Be careful what those doctors have you sign people.

PS: Is it just me, or is it weird that some of the articles online are focusing on her singing career? Anything for a song based play of words or pun, huh writers?

More reading: Clinician Sued For Enforcing Contract On Online Reviews

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... just do what I do and never sign anything, ever. When you do do it in bodily fluids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just at the dentist yesterday & it is amazing how much red tape is involved, with insurance in the mix. I do like their techno-savvy with text reminders, email, ratings and follow-up, though. No waivers, just high dental-flag wavers . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is new to me; it was an interesting read!

    mag // swapbot

    ReplyDelete

I wish my comment form was shiny.