Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Shut The Hell Up About Chick-Fil-A

Here is my only needless caveat. As a member of the gay community I understand why marriage equality (and equality in general) is so important and so needed. I also understand that we need to keep standing up for ourselves and each other more and more. We must keep fighting harder for equal rights that have been too long in coming. I am not saying that we shouldn't be fighting for equal rights and marriage equality and calling out people and corporations on their bigoted behavior.

I am saying this:

Can we all please shut the hell up about Chick-Fil-A for like one fucking day?

I am so sick and tired of hearing about that damn restaurant. All I've been hearing about for the past two or more weeks is Chick-Fil-A. It's over saturation at this point. The drama isn't even good anymore, it's stale and boring.

Actually to me it's been stale for a while now. I don't know why this boycott is suddenly on everyone's radar. Do you know how long I've been told to boycott Chick-Fil-A because of its stance on gay rights?

The past 7 fucking years.

Yes, that's right. 7 fucking years I've known about this and is one of the main reasons I've almost never eaten there (I think I've eaten there about five times in my whole life). The poster that everyone's been posting online and on Facebook is not new either. I've been seeing that for the past 7 years as well.

Truth be told the whole concept of not buying from some place because of their stance on gays and equality is not really all that ground breaking either. Even if it wasn't about gays and was about a complete other reason it wouldn't be ground breaking. First off, it's your right as a consumer to talk with your money, that's how shit gets changed. Secondly, the Human Rights Campaign offers a list of business' in their Corporate Rating Index for just that purpose. I know a good couple of people that use it to spend their money on corporations that support values they support.

What I'm saying is, this shit is not news.

Now the Oreo boycott hullabaloo I can understand. That was an immediate reaction from the, mainly, religious right and their crazy supporters because Oreos decided to openly show support for the queer community by ...photoshopping a multicolored cookie and posting it on Facebook (seriously guys?). And that was dead within about a week or so because I haven't heard jack shit about it since (apparently gays just have more staying power, what can I say?). Even then I didn't really give a shit about what the gay haters boycotted because that just meant more Oreos for me.

I'm not really angry about all the attention the boycott is getting, just annoyed. But more confused than anything else. Why has it taken 7 years to get all this coverage?

I guess I should take it as a sign that marriage equality is gaining more and more ground, which is a good thing. Some of my friends think it's nothing more than politics and that's why it's now a big deal. Another said that the company fired a gay employee and that's why people are being more vocal about it. I tried looking online for anything to support that assumption and I couldn't find it. Perhaps my Google-fu is lacking, but I did however find this article about a women who is suing the corporation for allegedly firing her because she gave birth or because they wanted her to be a stay at home mom. What the fuck Chick-Fil-A? If you want to keep bitches in the kitchen then just sit her next to the fryer but at least let her keep her job.

All I know is shit is starting to get petty now.

And I knew it would. The turning point started with the damn Muppets.

I'm not saying what the Jim Henson Corporation did was petty. I'm talking about Chick-Fil-A's reaction to it. I'm sure by now that everyone's seen the recall signs posted in Chick-Fil-A's windows.

Stolen from Reddit, but it's also all over google.

Because apparently gays getting married is not a Christian value but straight up lying is. Face saving fail all the damn way.

Then I came across this.

OK, that's cute and funny, I'll give you that. Far be it from me of all people to condemn someone for bringing some brevity into this. Lord knows I can hardly take anything seriously without cracking a joke somehow. It's stupid, but it's funny, and I love this dude and his tumblr blog thing to death. He's very silly and comes across as very sweet and I would encourage everyone to follow his website.

But then of course someone had to get buttmad about it in someway. The comment from Addy DelaMorte is obviously mine and I still stand by it. But do you see how this petty crap is already escalating?

Really though, I mean if you're going to do something like that and you really want to piss the restaurant off...go all out with it people! Why pay the establishment you're boycotting? Go bring a bag of McDonalds or KFC in there and seductively feed it to each other. That would really piss them off. You're making a stand, not giving them money, and promoting a completely different eating establishment. Don't half ass it. Besides, their waffle fries taste like shit.

All I know is someone needs to get their shit together so I can go and eat some chick-a-minis without feeling like I'm betraying my community.

I still can't believe it's taken 7 years. 7 fucking years people!

5 comments:

  1. If people want to boycott places for being anti gay there is a long list of places to add to Chick-fil-A like Exxon mobile, urban outfitters, salvation army and Walmart. Instead lets shop at Target and get fat on Kraft, general mills, and Ben and Jerry products since they love the queers (as does Google, apple, Microsoft, and amazon so geek on my technological homies). Oh and apparently my work loves the gays too (should have figured since half the staff is gay) but one reason to not loathe my job.

    So yea lets not bitch about how Chick-fil-a's delicious food is born from evil and go buy our Levi's from Macy's and J.C. Penny's and be thankful that Starbucks delicious delicious Starbucks products are Gay ok! (See all that Rainbow Club literature finally came in handy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And woot for Rainbow Club buddies! *fist bump*

      Delete
  2. I don't watch the paper or read the news and I'm sick of it, too. Probably why I didn't know how much $$$ they contributed to anti-gay causes. I hadn't heard from any of my friends -- gay, straight, bi, what have you -- about how bigoted Chick-Fil-A was until the gay marriage issue came to the forefront. It's a free country and we're all free to be as hateful and narrow-minded as we wish. And if Dan Cathy only wants homophobic rednecks buying his chicken, that's cool. Makes no fucking business sense at all, but whatever. He ain't gettin' a dime of my money. Will it make a difference? Probably not. But he's got his principles and I've got mine.

    Popeye's is 1,000x better anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Popeye's got some good shit. I haven't eaten there in forever and a day though. :p

      And yes, what the fuck, bad business sense! Apparently waffle fries taste better when the queers can't marry...says so in the buy-bull. *adjusts suspenders and chews on a toothpick*

      Delete
  3. Right on ;-> Funny. I think I've stumbled onto CFA about five times, too -- always at a mall and as a last second whim. Waffle fires and chicken with a single pickle. Always thught they were weird even beofre I knew about Sunday closures for "Our Lord" who rules the roost.

    ReplyDelete

I wish my comment form was shiny.