Monday, January 21, 2013

My Favorite Martian Bloghop

The day for the My Favorite Martian Bloghop is here! Yay!

I couldn't whittle my favorite down to just one alien, so I bring you two-three...ish.

Source


My absolute favorite alien race has always been the Tenctonese from Alien Nation. Alien Nation was this alien buddy cop show that mainly followed the Francisco family (shown above sans the two people on the left) while they tried to make their place in earth society. The series also dealt with issues of bigotry. It was done quite well in my opinion and I'm always sad that there are only 22 episodes in the series. Oh well, at least we have the movies.

My favorite Tencotonese specifically was Buck, the Francisco's son. He had this bad boy thing going on, which is always appealing, but it wasn't one dimensional. Even though he was a bit of a dick, you felt genuine sympathy for him. Not only was he a teenager who had to deal with bullying in school because he wasn't human, but he also had the added difficulty of trying to stay in touch with his own culture while basically being stranded on a planet whose culture and people he didn't really want any part of. And on top of that his dad's a cop bent on integrating and cohabiting with the humans that populate the earth.

I think what was really great about his character is that the series showed him learning the errors of his ways and thinking, slowly but surely. By the end he still had residual anger but he wasn't that much of a bad boy. He had grown and matured. The show gave him quite a bit of good character development and, I think anyway, did a good job of showing all sides to the story that is Buck and Buck's life.

Source

Plus Sean Six who played Buck is yummy, so there's that.

From the same series I'd also have to pick Moodri, the Francisco's uncle. He was this awesome hippy type character who had a pet goat. He could walk in salt water without getting burned (salt was like acid to the Tenctonese). He was funny and wise. I really wish that he had more screen time in the series and that we were able to learn more about him and his life. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, he died in the series not to long after he was introduced.

Source

Pictured above, Uncle Moodri being awesome. No other context is needed.

Last, but not least, my favorite alien is Quark from Star Trek.

Source
Oh my goth, Quark is great (Quark's is fun! Come right now! Don't walk, run!). Where to begin? He was conniving, smart, smart-assed, and hilarious. But he was also really sweet in his own way. I always kind of thought of him as some sort of chaotic neutral with a few twinges of good. You could trust him with your purse, just keep the wallet in your back pocket, kind of deal. I loved how he just had his own sort of thing going on and his own code of ethics that he adhered to. I myself would be lying if I denied consulting the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition a couple of times for my own problems.

I love how Armin brought his character to life. You can just tell by watching the DS9 series that he took a lot of joy in portraying him. I always paid attention a bit more whenever him and Odo were in a room. The way those two bounded off of each other, it was just a lot of great chemistry between the two actors. He was enjoyable in all aspects even when he was being a bit of a coward. Plus, for an ugly guy he got a lot of prime tail and you just have to respect that.

Thank you for letting me blab your ear off and completely fangirl out about my love for the above aliens. Now hop on down the blogger's trial:


15 comments:

  1. Yes, I enjoyed Quark too, and I totally know what you mean about the energy whenever Quark and Odo played off each other. Great writing, great chemistry between the actors, a whole lot of fun.

    I never did see Alien Nation - guess that's one to put into the pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Alien Nation, either, but Star Trek got Soval out of it, so I can't complain.

    Quark! Best bartender in the universe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody loves Quark, surely! (I had forgotten about the Alien Nation series so thanks for that reminder. Buttermilk night?) But Quark was so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris and Tony - You both really should watch Alien Nation and the accompanying movies. Words do not do justice to that show. The series was short but by following the Francisco family it showed a lot of insight into the Tenctonese culture that the makers of the show created. There are also a lot of humorous parts to it as well.

    Jeff - I take my sour milk shaken, not stirred. ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought of Buck as a heart-throb, but he certainly was the most conflicted of the family. It's great to have you in the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ^_^

      And what can I say, I love the spongeheads. :p

      Delete
  6. Great picks . . I hadn't thought about Alien Nation in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quark reminds me of an old boyfriend... lol :) I've never seen the first 2. But I'd agree on one point for sure...Buck IS yummy!! ;)

    Thanks!
    Marianne
    Sandling All Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA I was just going through my comics and came across my Alien Nation #1 Comic and thought to myself "I miss that show. I need to see if I can get it" I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Quark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read those comics and the books so badly, but I have no room to house them right now. :p

      Delete
  9. I recall seeing about half of one show of Alien Nation. All I remember is the Cop dad. I think I would have watched the series if I had started at the beginning. Good choice. Now following you. Julie @ http://icreatepurtythangs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quark always had a happy knack for getting up to mischief and keeping Odo busy sniffing out rats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never got to watch Alien Nation but I remember seeing commercials for the show while it was airing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I watched ALIEN NATION as a kid/teen, but I can't remember any of it. I remember liking it though.

    ReplyDelete

I wish my comment form was shiny.