Monday, December 16, 2013

Just Wanted To Share Some Pictures

I keep forgetting there is a month between October and December and my vacation wasn't all that recent. Here are some of the pictures that I wanted to share of my trip to the Edgar Allan Poe Museum in Virginia, and my trip to Lake Erie afterwards, before I forget again and it's too awkward to share later.

The first place I went to was the Edgar Allan Poe Museum. They didn't allow you to take pictures of any of the exhibits. I'm not sure if it is because of the flash degrading the exhibits, or because they want to make sure people keep coming to visit and don't just see everything from the comfort of home. They did allow me to take pictures of the garden and outsides.

 
This was from the front part of the garden. There's little origami birds being hung up because:

 
there was a wedding being set up for later that day. I am insanely jealous of whoever got married there. I was told I could visit the shrine at the far end of the photograph, but I felt awkward and wound up tiptoeing around the workers setting up. I just didn't want to intrude with their processes.


They had a bunch of these artsy pumpkins laying around. I like the deviation from normal jack 'o' lanterns.

It was a very interesting museum. The rooms that held the exhibits were small and some of the stuff, like furniture from his boyhood home or one of his writing desks, were within touching distance with no one watching you. I may or may not have touched my fingertip to one of his chairs and then promised myself to never do so again. Point being, it's quite an intimate setting. They had a lot of information on him and I learned a good bit. I was amazed at how little I knew of this really awesome author.

I know, I'm a bad goth.

For instance, Poe is considered the father of the modern mystery or detective stories. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the author who wrote Sherlock, was influenced greatly by him. Poe also did a lot of work in the science fiction genre as well. He basically reinvented the genre. Apparently Poe was also a bit of a bitch. If I remember correctly from one of the exhibits, he would routinely give bad book reviews and basically tear stories apart in one of the editorials he wrote for.

The same building that housed all of his science and science fiction accomplishments had an upstairs with a bunch of artistic interpretations of Poe's visage donated throughout the years to the museum. Honestly if you're ever in Virginia near the Poe Museum you should visit it. Walking through it takes about an hour and it's worth it if you're interested in learning more about Poe. I've only read a couple of things from him and now I want to read everything he's written.

While in Virginia I swung by their huge ass historical society. I only had time to go through one exhibit because when I was done they were closing in five minutes. It was an exhibit of Virginia from past to present and it took two hours. There was so much to take in that after a while I kind of stopped reading every little prompt they threw my way. I did make a point to at least look at all the exhibits though. I would love to go back there and go through again to read the stuff I had to miss, as well as the other collections they had.

 
I thought this was neat. One of the signs said that this is one of the few historically accurate paintings of Matoaka, also known as Pocahontas. This painting would have been after she married John Rolfe and changed her name to Rebecca. A lot of the paintings of her are very white washed and depict her as looking like a white person. This one was restored from the original by an artist whose name escapes me because I suck.

While I was in Erie I visited the Presque Isle State Park to visit Lake Erie. The park is really beautiful and huge. It has 11 beaches in all. My friend and I walked for about two miles looking at the view before I realized that the Lake Erie side is on the left and Presque Isle Bay is on the right.


This is some weird pod covered in tiny red bugs. My friend thought it was a bird, and I think she needs glasses.


A view of the bay.

There was a small walkway we found:


It overlooked some kind of marsh. As you walked up there were engravings in the wood which stated:

"The feather unto heavens will soar with the water at my feet to humbly flow with the balance of nature as my guide. ~ Manitou the Great Spirit."

 
 
 

To be honest, I enjoyed this side of the park more than the Lake Erie side.


Lake Erie. My thumb and I were somewhat unimpressed. I mean it was huge, and very pretty on that side as well to be sure. But the bay side was much prettier to me.

There are more pictures in my imgur album.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I wish my comment form was shiny.