Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Origin Of Angels

When the universe was still quite young, and Earth and man had not yet been thought of, the being that came to be known on Earth as God, among other names, Was.


And It was lonely.


And It was tired from creating.


So God thought to create helpers and guardians to keep It company and help It with all these new creations. It sculpted a mold of a human-like figure. Into this mold God poured part of Its unending being, then closed it for a short time.


When God opened the mold the first time out sprang forth an angel that shined with a light from within, bright as our own sun. Before God could even get a chance to speak, the angel told God Its name was Lucifer.


God opened the mold a second time and out stepped a being strong, courageous, and ready to take on enemies. Its face was handsome, yet already battle hardened. God named this one Michael.


God opened the mold a third time and out came a being who was talkative, ready to serve, and fleet-footed. God named this one Gabriel.


On and on this went until God was sure that It had a being for every use and all the help It needed. God told Lucifer to discard of the mold. However, when Lucifer touched the mold it glowed and jumped. Lucifer brought this strange behavior to God's attention. God approached, but before It could touch the seal, the mold cracked and split in half.


Out stepped a being clothed in darkness. Its smile was pointed and vicious. It looked upon Its new celestial family with eyes all black. It was all at once beautiful and terrible,  cruel and merciful, gentle and harsh.


And Its name was Death.


***


So this story and a few others just popped into my head one day and they kept nagging at me so much I had to write them down. This is the first I wrote about the origins of the Angels and the origins of Death. The more I think about it, it really is more of an origin of Death I guess, but I didn't really want to give that away from the title. Whatever, I guess it's both.


I have no clue where I'm going with this, or if I'm even going anywhere with it at all. I might just keep them as little myths that I made up, or I might weave them into a bigger story as part of the world's mythology.  Que sera, sera.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds good so far! I'm interested to see where you go with this, the mother of all origin stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was good. I like playing around with mythology stories. Did Lucifer blame himself? Is this what set him on his path to become a fallen angel, because of guilt that turned into anger? A lot of different directions you could go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think!

      Personally I was thinking of Lucifer as a sort of trickster spirit/God. If you compare Christian mythology and characters to other religions it kind of matches up. Lucifer is the Christians Loki. lol.

      I also only have a small inkling of what will be the outcome of his gaff or what he thinks about it. The characters are still quite young. I'll probably explore it as more stories come to mind. :p

      Delete

I wish my comment form was shiny.