Monday, March 9, 2015

Hindsight On Hindsight 105

Time to put down your Radioactive Man comics (which were totally a thing outside of Simpsons by the way) and pause your Game Boy, because it's time for another Hindsight on Hindsight...natch'.

Probably why I titled the post that...and why I'm opening it with dated 90's references. 



Is this Hindsight or an insurance commercial that is going to make me confront my existential fear of death? Because I already have a pretty good insurance company and boss rates, that's all I'm saying.

Guess we'll find out in the next 48 hours in universe.
***
48 hours earlier the start up company that Becca works for is arguing about whether or not they are a pop culture mag.  

If you are writing about pop culture and are covering pop culture and want to know or predict what will be popular in your culture before it becomes popular (so pre pop culture?), then aren't you a pop culture magazine? 
***
Who cares we're going to see REM at Chapel Hill, hopefully before the insurance company part of the show becomes a reality. And none of us home viewers have to even pay for a ticket. Yay us!
***
Jamie and Lolly have been on the outs for about a week. I don't know if Lolly is planning on breaking up with him or not but he seems to have held himself together pretty well so far. Perhaps it was the abrupt way in which they broke up last time. Maybe we'll skip over Jamie's OD, if they do break up that is.
***

"Maybe you could go back in time and stop them from fighting...you can't do that can you?"

Yes Lolly, time travel is totally genetic. 
***
Ok, thanks Becca, even I didn't know REM broke up and I live in this time period.

I....I don't pay attention to things. They could have gotten back together for all I know.
***
Hell yeah Page is going with us! Becca calm the hell down, it's not like she knew you or your ex (who you walked out on) before you were going to get married. These are reactions we're supposed to have if someone like Lolly dates Shawn, not Page.
***

I am way to used to GPS's when I have to stop and ask myself why in the hell Lolly is looking at a map, which I almost called an atlas and right now I don't know if they're the same thing or not.
***
*Lolly says something that make everyone awkward and uncomfortable * 
*Becca says something that makes Lolly upset which makes everyone uncomfortable *
*Page tries to keep peace or stays quiet *
*Lolly says something that makes everyone uncomfortable *

Seriously, is this the road trip sequence I'm going to have to be put through?
***
Does no one keep their eyes on the damn road as they drive? No wonder this episode opened with a car insurance commercial.
***

Melanie....you're still here....and with Andy.
***

Oh thank the Gods, Jamie's here to take us to a bar and away from a lifetime of angry word puzzles.
***
If I was Andy I would ask Jamie to give me time to pad my face with bubble wrap and curl into the fetal position on the ground before he called Shawn to "hash things out".

Just saying.
***

Now we are at Lolly's estranged father's house where we get to walk in on her half dressed father and his flavor of the week post coitus (last time I swear) and trade barbs about our jobs.

Boy this episode sure is a fun and light hearted romp through time and space.
***
I know her father is played by the dude that played Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but I always mistake him for the guy that played Brad in the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
***

 Becca's face says, "Please don't shake my hand until after you've washed yours .... and you're shaking it."
***
Lolly has a film degree? 

New pet theory: Lolly left town after her and Jamie's break up where she took a couple of years to really hunker down and find herself, and work on putting that film degree to good use in the meantime. Afterwards she wanted to reconnect with Becca but was too embarrassed and afraid after what happened to Jamie. Using her now high status and connections, she made a TV show where she could send fictional Becca back in time to relive past mistakes and be with her friend again. The real Lolly needs Becca just as much as the fictional Becca needs the fictional Lolly. 

Safe in the realms of a TV show, Lolly can explore why they lost touch and what could have happened if they never had. Or what she could have done differently.

Hindsight never really happens in universe, it's just a TV show like it is to us, it's actually just Lolly's way of apologizing to Becca on a public scale.
 
Or Becca had an aneurism and this is her hallucinating as she lays dying/in a coma/ being worked on under anesthesia in a hospital after she is found by someone in the building. But I thought that was an overused fan theory tactic.
***

"You do have an honest face."

That is so punchable as well. One of the downfalls of having an honest face.
***
I don't understand Jamie's references.
***
There is nothing that will bond two women who don't like each other together quicker than walking a mile to a gas station for help with a flat in what I assume is high heel type shoes by the way they're clip clopping down the road.

I fear for their bunions.
***

Back home Jamie encourages Andy and Shawn to drink 'The Wall'. A line of beer which, if you survive it, you get...your name on a wall. I don't know why I'm judging, I've done more for less.
***

And Melanie joins us in day drinking shenanigans, telling Andy to man up. Only she says it in a weird way because she's still pissed at him but when you stop to think it doesn't make sense for her to say that. She's just there for negative vibes. Per usual.
***

Lolly heads to an ice cream shop for a milkshake to drown the thought of her father co habiting her living space with the taste of malt. There we meet an old friend of hers who wants to take us to a barn to reminisce.

That's not creepy.
***
I love how every conversation with Andy devolves into a discussion about Dungeons and Dragons, Warcraft, or any RPG. 

It's beautiful really.
***

No one special back home Lolly? Really? Maybe I should take back my new pet theory.
***
"How you act


Is who you are


Unless you're completely two faced."


Well Meerkat, you act like a manipulative twat, sooo....
***
I like how this quote from Melanie accurately describes basically everyone around that pool table. Even poor Andy, sorry Bunny Foo Foo.
***
So while Becca is driving like her feet don't quite reach the gas pedal, her and Page argue over where exactly they're going because they're now lost.

Then they get pulled over...for being lost? 
***
That's right Page! No unlawful searches! I love a girl that knows her rights. It's hot.
***

This cop kind of sound like Earnest P.  Worrell. Or one of the dudes that frequently shows up in those movies.
***
Ah, we were pulled over for expired tags. Gotcha.
***

On the road again and Page reveals she used to be a child star whose money got siphoned by her asshole parents until she emancipated herself. 

Poor Page. Not even sure I can make anything funny about that. Or I probably can and I'm just being lazy, you decide.
***

Nevermind that. Alanis Morisette song bonding time. My favorite type of bonding.

You, you, you, oughta know!
***
"You should come stay with us! We have a terrible futon, and a terrible coffee maker!"

And you are being a terrible girlfriend Lolly.

Or she's behind on rent?
***

"You're forgetting one very important fact, she's not your fiancée anymore."

And I think you're forgetting the punch heard 'round the world Andy. 
***
I think that even if you "hash out your problems" with someone, there should be a one month limit on getting drunk with them where you just sketch each other out for a bit. Kind of like frenemy dating.
***

Instead of actually getting into the REM concert, Becca is taking a chance and resting her article on the interviews of the fans while REM plays far off in the distance. 

Good problem solving skills but I was kind of hoping they'd find a way to sneak in.

***
Awww Jamie and Shawn had a sleep over.
***
If Jamie wants to get real technical about everything, Becca left Shawn for everything he listed. It's not what Shawn has done. It's what he will do.

But Jamie doesn't know that so it's ok.
***


Not that I'm not liking Andy and Becca talking about their relationship, but whose house have we barged into now?
***

Do the writers of this show know that cabins get locked up when not in use by the Park Ranger?

Trust me, if they didn't I would have gone illegal camping dozens of times by now.
***


Aww, he's going to be with his Becca!



Well I hope he had insurance.
***
I think Becca inadvertently killed Andy.

1 comment:

I wish my comment form was shiny.